Bignell Watkins Hasser Architects worked with Montgomery County Department of Fire and Rescue and the Takoma Park Fire Department to develop a program and design that would allow the new fire station to remain on the original site (dating back to 1920). The station, situated at the main intersection of the City, connects the commercial and residential areas. The design challenge was to create a new building more than twice of the original station that blends with both the commercial and residential areas. The result is an eye-catching design that acts as a visual transition between the residential and commercial areas of the city. The apparatus bay and clock tower mark this main intersection and remain a local landmark for the community.
A portion of the existing building was saved at the request of the Volunteers and local Historical Commission. The stone removed from the demolished portion of the building was saved and reused on the new construction portion of the building.
The interior layout was designed to give direct and easy access to the apparatus bay from all portions of the building. A glass wall was constructed between the dining and dayrooms, allowing for larger meetings. The lower level houses the mechanical rooms and turnout gear storage as well as a training room for the Volunteers. Total building contains three apparatus bays, volunteer and career offices, kitchen/dining spaces, dayroom, fitness training areas, gear storage, and bunkrooms.